The Associate Director of Admission is an exceptional communicator who works diligently to present and promote The Hamlin School as a vibrant, inclusive community; this full-time, twelve-month administrator believes firmly and passionately that our K-8 girls’ school is a dynamic place where students and their families can thrive. The mission and Creed of the school are etched in the Associate Director of Admission’s heart and mind, driving all key decisions and daily interactions.
The Associate Director of Admission is both an enthusiastic leader and a faithful partner, working closely with the Director of Admission to oversee, manage, and support all aspects of the admissions process. The highest levels of respect and integrity are demonstrated in all aspects of work with the internal and external community.
The Associate Director of Admission is able to represent the school with others (and alone whenever necessary) and is a known and knowledgeable presence on campus and in the external community. Love and loyalty for Hamlin, excellent communication skills (listening, speaking, and writing) as well as the ability to work effectively with a wide range of people are hallmarks of this leadership position. The primary responsibility of the Associate Director of Admission is to work collaboratively and enthusiastically with the Director of Admission to recruit, identify, and orient students and families who support the mission and core values of the school.
Expectation of Employee Civility and Professional Commitment
The Hamlin School seeks employees who will support and implement the school’s mission and Creed at all times. Hamlin employees are known for being caring, compassionate, collaborative, and dedicated professionals who treat their colleagues and supervisors with respect and who take seriously the daily care of Hamlin students and families.
Hamlin girls are affirmed and celebrated because of their curious minds, joyful work ethic, and intellectual tenacity in the classroom and beyond; moreover, Hamlin employees believe that ensuring the girls’ academic growth is only one part of their work. Hamlin employees also pay close attention to the girls’ social-emotional well-being, their physical and mental health, and their moral development.
Hamlin employees are committed to their own professional growth; as such, they pay close attention to the research and innovations that impact teaching and learning and the field of education in general.
All employees are expected to be respectful and gracious, fully embracing their roles as flexible thinkers and nimble actors in support of the school’s overarching strategic goals. As a tightly-knit professional community, Hamlin employees take great pride in their collective purpose and individual commitment to the pursuit of excellence.
• Understand and share with vigor Hamlin’s rich history and longstanding commitment to girls’ education-- explain “the why” of girls’ schools in general and Hamlin in particular
• Understand fully and articulate clearly all aspects of Hamlin’s K-8 educational program, including its philosophy and purpose
• Interview prospective families (about 40% of total applicant pool) and write interview reports
• Represent Hamlin with pride and confidence at internal and external events and gatherings
• Help with training and support of the adjuncts to the admissions process (i.e. Grade 8 panelists/tour guides; parent ambassadors; teachers)
• Assist in the preparation of admissions events, including weekday tours, Learn About Hamlin, admission coffees, outreach events, admission fairs, etc.
• Deliver public presentations about the admissions landscape and outcomes, in partnership with the Director of Admission or singly, to key constituencies (i.e. employees, board, alumni)
• Develop and maintain relationships with preschool directors, admissions placement professionals, and fellow Directors of Admission
• Understand the financial assistance process and Hamlin’s commitment to economic equity
• Provide campus tours, upon special request by the Head of School, for special guests
Enrollment Management Tasks:
• Work in partnership with the Admissions Assistant to enter and manage all information for admissions in the database (Ravenna)
• Produce admissions statistics and longitudinal reports for Director of Admission, Business Office, and Head of School’s analysis
• Process and manage all applicant files with the Admissions Assistant, ensuring completion
• Assist in creating, organizing, and preparing materials for admissions packets, follow-up mailings to applicant families, decision letters, welcome packets, etc.
• Prepare with the Admissions Assistant all applicant files for Admissions Committee review
• Manage the scheduling of Kindergarten applicant visits and “shadow visits” for Grades 1-7
• Prepare printed materials for Kindergarten visits as well as “shadow visits” for Grades 1-7
• Follow up with prospective parents to confirm interview appointments
Summer Tasks (includes but is not limited to):
• Manage any enrollment shifts and subsequent admissions applications
• Update admission documents and school website; preparing Ravenna for use
• Order admission materials
• Finalize and share the admissions event calendar for the school year
• Communicate important information to Director of Admission and Head of School
Essential Skills and Personality Traits:
• Passion for Hamlin’s history, mission, program, and vision for the future
• Impeccable professionalism; ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
• Strong interpersonal skills; a “people person” who is warm, welcoming, and gracious
• Positive, upbeat, optimistic, can-do attitude
• Cross-cultural competency; an ability to work with respect and grace with people from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds
• Outstanding communication skills (including public speaking and the ability to write, edit, and proofread)
• Ability to collaborate, pivot when necessary, and work as a team player
• Strong organization and high efficiency and accuracy; an ability to use time effectively and meet important deadlines
• Detail-oriented thinker who is also able to see and understand the “big picture”
• Tech-savvy: Proficiency with Ravenna and Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc.)
About The Hamlin School
The Hamlin School seeks employees who will support and implement the school’s educational mission and live the ethical values expressed in the Hamlin Creed: compassion; courage; honesty; respect; and responsibility. Hamlin employees strive to be self-aware, caring, collaborative, flexible, committed to their professional growth, and dedicated to excellence in education for girls.