The Browning School is a K-12 boys school located on 62nd Street in midtown Manhattan, New York. Founded by scholar and teacher John A. Browning, The Browning School has been a leader in fostering the intellectual and personal growth of boys and young men since 1888. Serving roughly 400 students in kindergarten through grade 12, Browning strives to combine the best of a traditional prep school environment and curriculum with imaginative teaching and a strong value system – all in a single-sex setting – to foster growth of courageous and compassionate men of intellect and integrity who aspire to contribute meaningfully to our world
The Browning School seeks applicants for the position of Director of Strategic Communications. This person will oversee consistency for the School’s messaging and manage communications around mission, core values, strategic goals and longer term vision. The Director will oversee key marketing initiatives, targeted communications, brand management and the execution of special campaigns as it all relates to admission, fundraising, alumni relations and public relations to all external and internal constituencies (parents, students, faculty, etc.). The office focuses on competitive positioning of the School in the marketplace through coordinated brand management, increased visibility and awareness, and enhancements in image and reputation. The Director oversees the website and e- communications as well as the planning, design, content, production and distribution of all print and electronic materials and media as they support the marketing communication needs of the School. Support personnel will include one fulltime direct report as well as numerous freelancers. This position reports to the Director of Institutional Advancement and works closely with the Head of School and the senior administrative team.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Create and deliver strategic messaging by engaging and activating our community through multi-platform communications to bring those portions of the Browning story to life as they primarily relate to advancement, admission and enrollment management initiatives.
• Oversee content, design, production and distribution of print and digital pieces as they relate to advancement (i.e.: annual giving, capital campaigns, major gift appeals, alumni relations) admission, the Parents Association, etc.
• Create and oversee the execution of targeted capital campaign communications to support key fundraising goals and advancement/parents association/admissions events when needed. Ensure that the themed messaging is consistent and present throughout all media communications regarding any areas of school life.
• Create and execute an annual operational plan with goals, strategies, tactics and key performance indicators. Identify growth opportunities to increase brand awareness and engagement for Browning’s work with relevant task forces and trustee-generated initiatives on branding and communications. Support the Head of School in his communications topics and their timing.
• Work with faculty and staff to ensure their understanding of Browning’s marketing and strategic communications initiatives as well as ensuring that all-school communications reflect consistency with school messaging as well as editorial and stylistic quality control.
• Co-ordinate with various colleagues in the following areas:
Print and digital relating to all advancement, admission and parent messaging, including regular parent e-newsletters.
Update (annually and as needed) the website pages for all aspects of Browning life, in conjunction with and supported by relevant stakeholders o Work with the Alumni Director on profiles and stories for the School’s twice-a-year “Buzzer” magazine
Oversee all digital and social media communications (LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook in real time) o Manage the School’s graphic design needs (i.e.: photos, print, video, web).
Oversee photography and video coverage for events, both on and off-site, and obtain coverage for events that can be used to help ‘tell the Browning story’ (i.e. publicize events and achievements/milestones externally and internally for better public relations with all constituents.)
Education: A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: 5-10+ years of experience in marketing and communications. Advancement, admissions and/or independent school experience is preferred. Experience in graphic design is a plus but not required.
Specific Skills: Project management proofreading and organization. Strong writing and journalistic abilities including strong grasp of grammar, punctuation and adherence to style guide. Adept at thriving in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment as well as prioritizing projects.
Special Requirements: Required to attend school functions as needed, during the evening and/or on weekends.
If interested in applying please send a cover letter and c.v. (no calls please) to email@example.com
About The Browning School
The Browning School fosters growth of courageous and compassionate men of intellect and integrity who aspire to contribute meaningfully to our world. The Browning gentleman develops amid a community that upholds our core values: honesty, dignity, curiosity and purpose. We speak the truth, act with integrity and take responsibility for our actions. We honor and celebrate the dignity of all people and support the power of a diverse, inclusive and welcoming community. We encourage and celebrate open-minded inquiry about our world and the perspectives of those around us. We believe that education encourages exploration and discovery in pursuit of meaning and enduring fulfillment.
The Browning School strives to create a diverse community in which all members are safe, respected, and valued. We believe that in actively promoting a diverse learning environment, we are fostering intellectual, social, and emotional growth for all. Recognizing and pursuing diversity, however, are not enough; we seek to transcend mere tolerance of difference and aspire to a celebration of the varied appearances, abilities, perspectives, and values that characterize our community.