The Dean of Communications, working collaboratively with members of the Deans Council, reports directly to the Head of School Office to support the strategic communication efforts of the entire school, including the management, alignment and promotion of the LFA brand. The Dean of Communications is responsible for the development and execution of an overarching, strategic communications plan for Lake Forest Academy, including print and electronic media. All publications directed at an outside audience are vetted by this individual.
- Publications/Print Materials – working with Advancement and Admissions, provide creative and editorial content development, management, production, and distribution assistance for:
- The Review (school magazine published 3x/year)
- Admission Viewbook and Mini Viewbook (published annually)
- Fundraising marketing and solicitation materials
- Special Event marketing materials (Reunion, Parents Weekend, and Alumni gatherings)
- College Counseling materials (School profile)
- Other collateral publications as needed (e.g. Faculty Recruitment brochure)
- Manage, develop, and edit LFA’s website content and SEO
- Coordinate all LFA social networking activity, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, SmugMug, YouTube, Vimeo, and Merit
- Coordinate and publish a weekly Parent E-news; oversee general blast email communiques
- Send regular press releases and story pitches in advance to media outlets covering all areas of LFA life, including arts, athletics, and academics
- Check sources for stories related to LFA and maintain files of media coverage
- Manage crisis communications, both internally and externally, including drafting communiqués for the Head of School and being the spokesperson to the media
- Assist with neighbor relations and campus master plan communications
- Develop and execute an advertising strategy to include print, digital, and radio platforms
- Work collaboratively with Admission to create advertising materials
- Oversee LFA photography and video, including managing freelance photographers and LFA photographic archives
- Take photographs at various school events including evenings and weekends
- Oversee the selection of photographs and videos for various publications
- Provide/share photo and video resources with the internal and external community
- Budget and Department Management
- Manage Communications budget
- Manage Assistant Dean of Communications
Educational & Experience Requirements:
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university (Masters preferred)
- At least 5 years experience in communications, marketing and/or public relations
- Strong writing, editing, speaking, technical, organizational, interpersonal, and creative skills
- Knowledge of independent, boarding, and college-preparatory school culture and values
- Strong references that convey a track record of success in the communications field
- The ability and the desire to become involved in the life of the school.
Lake Forest Academy is committed to hiring a culturally diverse faculty committed to working with a diverse student body. Candidates from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Lake Forest Academy is strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment. All decisions at the Academy will be made without regard to race, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, military status, or any other legally-protected status.
Founded in 1857, Lake Forest Academy is a coed, boarding school serving 430 academically bright and motivated students in grades 9 to 12 from across the globe. The Academy offers a rigorous curriculum focused on academic excellence and characterized by small classes and close faculty/student interaction. The school's mission of educational excellence is founded on the four pillars of character, scholarship, citizenship, and responsibility. The LFA community places students at the center of their own learning and provides the support needed to develop confidence and strong values. Please visit our website http://www.lfanet.org/ for more information about us.